People with diabetes should pay attention to the food and drink they consume. This is because it is important to maintain a balanced blood sugar level. As we all know, diabetes mellitus is a disease that occurs due to soaring levels of sugar in the blood. Therefore, for diabetic patients, a balanced diet is very important. So, what foods are good for people with this disease to eat?
Choosing the type of food that enters the body is an important thing for people with diabetes mellitus. The reason is that choosing the wrong food can be fatal and affect blood sugar levels. If that’s the case, symptoms of the disease may appear inevitable.
Recommended Foods for Diabetic Diet
- Foods made from grains. Diabetic patients are also advised to consume complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, baked sweet potatoes, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and cereals from whole grains.
- Lean meat. In fact, people with diabetes still need nutritional intake from meat. To be safer, it is recommended to choose fresh meat without fat. You can also eat skinless chicken.
- Vegetables. This food is known as a type of healthy food and can provide many benefits for the body. Well, so that the benefits of vegetables are maximized, be sure to process them by boiling, steaming, or roasting them. You can also eat raw vegetables, but make sure to wash them before consuming them. Diabetics are advised to eat lots of broccoli and spinach.
- Fruits. People with diabetes mellitus are also advised to eat lots of fresh fruit. You can eat it directly or by making juice without sugar.
- Beans. Be sure to cook the beans by steaming, sautéing, or making a soup.
- Milk or dairy products. Consume low-fat yogurt without added sweeteners.
- Fish. The nutrients contained in fish are good for diabetic diet. Fish has high-quality protein, which can help you feel full and help stabilize blood sugar levels. You can eat tuna, salmon, sardines, and mackerel.
Beside doing regular treatment, implementing a healthy diet can help people with diabetes mellitus to live a normal life. Therefore, start paying attention to the food intake that is consumed so that symptoms of disease or complications from diabetes can be avoided.